Well the holiday is pretty much upon us! I wonder if anyone is even able to see over the sprout mountain to read this?
In just a few days, the festivities will be in full swing and even when you’ve fed everyone, there will doubtless be enough food left to feed a small army.
Don’t let it go to waste. Try instead what we have at my house on Boxing Day…
…no dear, not a row about where we’re spending Christmas next year, but St Stephen’s Pie!
Here’s the recipe:
- 30g/1oz butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 275ml/10fl oz double cream
- 100ml/3½fl oz chicken or turkey stock
- 450g/1lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp tarragon or marjoram, chopped
- 675g/1lb 5oz cooked turkey and ham, cut into 2cm chunks
For the mashed potato
- 1.2kg/2½lb potatoes
- knob of butter
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 3 tbsp milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/360F/Gas 4.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all the meat, melt the butter and add the chopped onion. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook, without browning, on a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, until the onions are completely soft.
- Add the cream and stock, bring up to the boil and simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, heat the mushrooms with a knob of butter (you might need to do this in two batches) for 3-4 minutes, or until soft and golden brown.
- Add tarragon or majoram to the mushrooms and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the meat and the mushrooms and stir well.
- Meanwhile, for the mashed potato, place the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water and cook until soft. Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan. Mash roughly and then add the butter, egg yolk and milk and mash to a thick paste. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the cream, mushroom and meat mixture into a shallow gratin dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until the potato topping is golden brown and the filling is hot.
All that remains is for me to offer you all my very best wishes for a fantastic Christmas!