The very simple answer to this is ‘No’.
Depending on how you plan to market online, you could make money on the Internet through other strategies such as mailing lists, forum posts, referrals and such, but the success rate through these money making strategies is weak. (Unless you already have a 10,000+ verified opt-in mailing list already, which many people do not.)
If you do plan on have your own space (website) online, do check out our post on places to get a free website online.
Personally, I highly recommend getting your own domain name (.com) and here are the reasons why:
- It it much more professional. Sometimes I see a website with a free website address (i.e., blogspot.com) and I do not even bother to visit.
- It is cheap. Roughly $10 or less for your own .com for the year.
- Some companies will not do business with you unless you have your own domain name/website.
- You can set up your own email address with the domain name you have set up.
- You can customize and personalize the content to your own desire.
Where to register your own domain name?
I highly recommend GoDaddy for domain name registration. This company has been around for years and their technology for managing your own domain is simple and powerful. Like I’ve said before, for under $10.00, you have your own address on the Internet.
What name should I register?
This is all up to you.
If you plan on marketing and writing about cat products and services, try to register a domain with the keyword ‘cat’ in it.
example: ‘cat-info-online.com’, ‘thebestcatdeals.com’, ‘usacatinfo.com’ etc …
I have not checked to see if the above domain names are already taken, but you get the idea.
Here are a few quick tips for getting domain name ideas
- Try to keep you domain name short. Something people will remember and that is easy to type.
- Register a domain name that is relevant or related to what you plan to do online.
- Dashes are ok in the name. Example: ‘cat-info-place ……’ etc.
- Do a search in Google and see what others are using for domain names related to your business
- Do not try to copy other domain names, try to be original.